Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Lijiang/Shangri-la (Part I)

Alright this may be a longish one and I’m going to divide it up.
I was hanging out with Min Dan one day and we were talking about the must-see cities in Yunnan Province. The biggest ones were Lijiang, Shangri-la, and Dali. She has made the trip to these cities very often, pretty much every year. I express my fascination and tell her that I would very much like to see them, but I just haven’t had an opportunity to go. But later on, she says that she and her family are traveling to Lijiang and Shangri-la at the end of the month, and invites me to join them. Of course, I immediately jump on that opportunity and at the end of the month during the long weekend of the Dragon Boat Festival, I meet up with Min Dan at her house to go to Lijiang.

At Min Dan’s house, I met Min Dan’s mother who at first glance looked like just another of Min Dan’s friends…it was kind of crazy how young she seemed. Min Dan told me that we should all just call her 美女 (mei nv- v represents the u with the two dots on it…literal meaning is “pretty lady”). Then I met her little brother, Wuyi, who was 16. He was DEFINITELY a shy one from the beginning and wouldn’t talk to me at all. The fact that I was shy and not speaking a word because I get nervous around friends’ families was not helping either. We hung in the house for the entire day because our train left at night (I’m so upset I didn’t get pictures). During that time, we also went to dinner, where Min Dan and Mei Nv spent the entire time scolding poor Wuyi about what kind of job he should get in the future…boy do I know how that feels. I was actually quite surprised because they didn’t seem to mind me sitting there while they had that conversation. I was glad they didn’t mind though, because hearing their conversation gave me more insight into the mindsets of Chinese people and Chinese families. I found they were very much like my family and like other immigrant families of America…working hard to earn a good job is very important to them, even if they have to leave their home and go to a bigger city to find work. That’s what Min Dan did, but I’ll tell you about that later.

Anyway, by this time they were pretty much treating me like one of the family and I felt like it, haha…well, as much as a person who has a bit of a language barrier could feel. So after dinner, everyone packs up the remainder of their stuff and we head off! I’m soooo excited I’m practically dancing out the door, haha. So we head off to the bus station, arm in arm (I told you…they treated me like a member of the family J) and we hop on the bus that’ll take us to the train station. I’m grinning ear to ear. But we have a problem.

It’s 9:30 and the train leaves at 10. The bus ride would have been about half an hour long, but 15 minutes into the ride we hit some MASSIVE traffic. I am very silent…I’m not quite sure what to think. It’s obvious we’re not going to get there by 10, but I’m hoping maybe the train will be a bit late leaving and we can possibly get there before it leaves. But at the looks of the traffic, it’ll be probably at least an hour before we get there. Min Dan and Mei Nv are talking amongst each other about what they’re going to do, and I’m there thinking, “Why are you talking? There is nothing to do. I mean, we could hop a taxi, but the taxis are all stuck in traffic too. There’s nothing on this road that is going faster than this bus, except for those motor-bikes that are swiftly weaving their way past us…and seriously, what are we going to do? Hop on the back of four of those motor-bikes and book it to the station?”

Well, you better believe I spoke too soon.

Min Dan is one of the craziest boldest friends I’ve ever had. My thoughts are cut off by her yelling at the bus driver, “Bus driver, open the door! We’re getting off!” And we four climb out of the bus and walk down the side of the road. I’m thinking, “What is Min Dan gonna do? She’s not seriously going to ask four motor-bikers to give us a ride?” Next thing I know, Min Dan is talking to one of the motor-bikers who’s parked on the curb of the road next to some vendors frying vegetables. She asks him if we can get a ride. Before I know it, she’s got four motor-bikers in front of her and tells me to hop on one, hahaha. Well that’s the first time I’ve ridden one of those things, and it was pretty awesome. And we’re there cruising down the side of the road, past all the traffic, weaving past other motor-bikers and other stuff. The wind is blowing past me, and the warm Kunming night sky is above, and I’m there thinking, “Hopping on the back of the motor-bike, racing through traffic to catch a train, in a foreign country…well that’s a pretty awesome thing. What a start to our Lijiang trip!” To be perfectly honest, it was so refreshing because though Kunming life lately had been filled with interesting adventures and stuff to do, this was a different kind of adventure, and an opportunity to get away and see something new. It was nice.

After having a nice conversation with the motor-biker and running off to find Min Dan, we all met up with each other again and rushed through the train station customs and on to the train, where we could finally relax. Min Dan offered me some duck feet (her family really likes chicken feet and duck feet, and they’re not bad if you cook them the right way), and being the brave person that I am (if it’s offered to me, I never say no to something that’s regarded as really tasty in a culture, even if it may seem strange to me…I always give it a chance and boy have I tried strange things in the past) I munched on one. Not bad, but not something I’ll eat every day.

More about the actual cities of Lijiang/Shangri-la next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment